Healthy Snacks For Breastfeeding Moms | Anna Grace: Healthy Snacks For Breastfeeding Moms

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Healthy Snacks For Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding is one of the things that has been hardest for me lately. For the first two and a half months of Mary's life, I had a huge oversupply.  Then one day without warning it plummeted, and I haven't been able to get it quite back up to par.

Besides pumping after feedings and taking a lactation support supplement, I have been trying to eat more healthfully.  We are healthy eaters to begin with. Our diet consists almost exclusively of whole foods, largely fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and organic lean poultry and fish. What dairy products we consume are organic, and we try to avoid white sugar and flour like the plague.

But I have learned that I have a bad habit of not eating enough during the day.
It is not at all unusual for me to skip breakfast and lunch and only eat dinner.  This has never been because I'm trying to lose weight, but just because I often don't feel hungry, and so forget to eat.  Of course this is not healthy under any circumstances,  but especially not when I am also nursing my baby.

So over the last two months, I have been on a mission to find some easy and nutritious snacks to keep me going throughout the day.

Here are a few of my favorites:


 These No Bake Energy Bites are not only delicious, but are packed with healthy fats and ingredients that help to boost lactation.  These are so easy and quick to make that I try to always have some in our fridge. Made with peanut butter, honey, oats, flax, coconut and dark chocolate, these balls are so rich that I can only manage one or two at a time.  They are delicious with a cold glass of almond milk!



This trail mix is probably my all time favorite snack. We used to buy it already packaged, but I realized that the ingredients are so simple it was just as easy,  and cheaper, to make my own. This mix would be so easy to alter for any one's taste. I like to use: raw almonds, raw cashews, raw peanuts, dried cranberries, dried cherries, and dark chocolate. (We love the Lindt 80% Cacao bars)



 Greek yogurt is another incredibly easy and tasty snack. We like to buy the Greek God's Plain Yogurt (not the low fat one, I'm needing those healthy fats in a major way to keep my milk supply up) We love to slice up a banana, add a handful of granola,  and sweeten with a little drizzle of raw honey or agave.  Some other favorite ingredients are blueberries, raspberries,  or pomegranates.  So yummy!


 \
When I'm needing a little protein, I love to make up some chicken salad and top it with an avocado and some goat or feta cheese. (healthy fats again) You could easily add this to a bed of lettuce and spinach, a sandwich, or a wrap for a more substantial meal.


I also drink a lot of smoothies. There are tons of "Lactation Smoothie" recipes all over the internet. My favorite ones usually include peanut butter and cacao, of course. :)

All of these snacks are also things I put in my husband's lunchbox all the time, these are not just good for the nursing mama!

I would love any other ideas for some fast, easy, and healthy snacks. Leave a comment below!

Blessings, 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anna. I am always looking for more quick and easy nourishing snacks or meals to make at home. Today I am making some baked sweet potatoes for lunch. While they are not so quick to bake, they don't require much time to actually prepare. My children and I both love them, so I thought I would pass the idea along. We will even eat them as cold leftovers sometimes because the children love them that way just about as much as hot. Not to mention, they are great to have around for baby's first foods. Mash and feed! Hope this is helpful. The best to you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck. Healthy Snacks

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis